Everyone, including all the doctors, told me, “You’ll never walk again. You won’t see out your right eye… or be able to lift your left arm. We can’t help you with your memory. You need more surgery for your back and face… And of course, you’ll never fly again. They were stating the facts—the obvious.
But that day, that particular single day, sitting ALONE in my wheelchair, contemplating the huge obstacles I was facing – having weighed the pros and cons of choices I considered … (use right hand)…I changed the way I was looking at my problems.
I chose to see my adversity as the challenge of a lifetime. I wasn’t going to be a victim. I would prove the doctors wrong about not walking or flying or seeing or using my arm. Everyone knew I should have died in the crash. So, with a grateful heart, I set out to prove that God’s promises are true —- or I’d die in the trying.
I thought, Dale, you are going to develop a flight plan for a THRIVING life. There you will find your greatest adventure ever!
So that day, alone in my wheelchair – my life CHANGED.
I changed the way I thought. I changed the way I spoke.
I saw no good reason to give up on my ambitions, so with a growing faith in God, I took charge.
I changed my attitude. The new attitude increased my altitude.
I set course to fly above the storm.
Over the next 30 days, learning from others, I developed a personal- Checklist: 12-Steps to Overcoming Adversity.
Steps to Overcoming Adversity Checklist
1. Decide to Overcome – Make the quality choice to overcome. Whatever your situation – choose NOT to be a victim. This is the best way to take control in the midst of any trial. Adversity is rarely fair. It’s often easy, to feel like you are the victim. What has happened to you may not be fair or just at all. But we cannot keep the victim mentality and thrive. We must let it go. That is your choice. What you do next with your situation will determine whether you are dominated by adversity or the other way around. Chose to overcome and dominate your adversity.
* “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
* “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans.” Proverbs 16:3
- Find the Good – What can you be grateful for? Focus on the positive things and develop a grateful heart. A great deal of your success can be affected by having a joyful and grateful attitude. Also find good people to surround yourself with. The Bible talks about the importance of choosing wisely who we associate with. If you notice that you spend your time with people who have a negative impact on your mood or attitude, it is wise to branch out and connect with people who help you be your best self. Associate with those who support your goals and push you toward growth and positivity. Find good words. Words have a powerful and spiritual impact on you. Listen to the words from those around you and make sure you are with people who speak words that affirm and build-up rather than tear down or focus on the negative.
* “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
1 Thessalonians 5:18
* “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” Philippians 4:8
- Give God Your All – Give God your weakness and He will give you His strength. He is able to guide and empower you through to victory. God’s will for you is good. We need His superior intelligence and wisdom to find our way to victory. Find His promises, then adapt, change and get into agreement with Him. He knows what is best for you and will lead you safely through.
* “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6.
* “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His” Romans 8:28
* “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
- Walk in Forgiveness – Forgive anyone who might be involved in your adversity. Often adversity comes by the efforts of another and to move forward we must forgive them and stay forgiving. Forgive yourself too. Sometimes we have inadvertently done something to bring it upon ourselves. Either way, don’t yield to the temptation of becoming a martyr. Don’t feel like you need to suffer… that you don’t deserve forgiveness. If you are the one that caused the problem, ask God to forgive you and then accept His forgiveness. It is always God’s will to forgive.
* “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.” Matthew 6:14
* “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us oursins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
- Find the Truth. Even if you don’t like it, learn what’s true about your situation. If you aren’t dealing with truth at the core level, you can’t really succeed and you’re likely to repeat. The truth is the starting line. Identify what happened and why it happened. Then access accurately where you are now. Finally, you can strategically plan your course to the destination you desire.
* “…If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32
- Climb To and Maintain an Eternal Perspective – You are made by God and are an eternal being with an eternal objective. Know that you are a spirit, who has a soul, who lives in a body. Allow your entire 3-part person—spirit, soul and body—to move in the same direction and function in unity. Not having the correct, BIG picture of yourself and your situation—in context of your eternal life—can cause you to miscalculate your goals.
* “Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward manis being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Dale and Paula Black
What Others are Saying:
“Keep up the great videos! Some people do not have a church to attend.” Jon – WA
“Thank you for this teaching about FAITH. I thank you and Paula for praying for healing for me and those affected by cancer.” Ray – Canada
“Thank you for this crucial reminder: the importance of obedience. We need to understand that obeying means deciding for God’s best. His ways are always the way of life.” Pastor Bill – MA
“I want to listen to more videos and understand the work you’re doing.” Chet – AZ
“Thank you for being a ministry to us. I love watching your videos and I share your testimony with others when I can. Your ministry is changing lives!” Kathleen – FL
Thank you for helping spread this gospel of Jesus. If you’d like to help the video outreach ministry, called the WEB-TV Project, here’s how you can help: Spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, support Messages From Heaven + Winning Over Cancer by donating to the WEB-TV PROJECT.
Thank You Partners! 95 of 650 pixels are sponsored already. That’s almost 15% toward the goal. Click
If you would like to DONATE to help the gospel go forward, you can give ONLINE or by MAIL. To give online, click on the DONATE button. If you prefer to give with Check or Money Order, please make donation payable to: Dale Black Ministries * P.O. Box 130085, Carlsbad, CA 92013. To make a donation or place an order by phone, call: 951-526-2101 and leave a message. Someone from our volunteer staff will call you back. Thank you very much, and may God’s blessings be upon you and your family.
Copyright 2018 Dale Black Ministries
aka Eagle International Church – Carlsbad, CA
All Rights Reserved